The Dumbrava Sibiului Natural Park stretches over 960 hectares and it is situated 4 km away from the center of the city in the southwest direction along the road towards Rãºinari.
It is crossed by the Trinkbach brook, which forms on its course three man-made lakes: one within the Museum of the Folkloric Technique and two within the Zoological Garden.
The Dumbrava Forest is a terrace oak forest within which, besides oaks, the hornbeam, the wild cherry tree, the elm, the field maple and the lime tree vegetate very well. The durmast, the ash tree, the maple tree and the field ash appear sporadically.
Among the bushes growing here we mention the privet, the hawthorn, the dovecot, the female cornel, the buckthorn, the guelder rose. Nearby the lake there is a 400 years old oak.
Over 100 plant species with flowers grow in the lower vegetation layer of the forest, among which the melandryum pratense, the primula, the lily-of-the-valley, the tussocky grass and the rattlesnake root are the rarest.
The Dumbrava Forest is populated by mammals: deer, squirrels, porcupines, wild boars, mice, hazel dormice, foxes and the following birds: the large chaffinch, the blackbird, the yellow throated bunting, the large woodpecker, the jay, the turtle dove, the owl, the hoopoo, the cuckoo, the finch, the goldfinch, the sparrow, the raven and a large number of insect species and other terrestrial invertebrates.
The Dumbrava Forest was the favorite promenade location for the inhabitants of Sibiu since as early as the 18th century, nowadays being famous for the ASTRA Museum of the Folkloric Civilization which is situated here.
The tramline connecting Sibiu with Rasinari unwinds parallel to the road.
On the South side of the road, there is the “Monument of the heroes killed in the battles of the two world wars”.
The Municipal Cemetery, opened in 1907, is located on the South side also, at the limit of the woods.